7/20/14 6:28 PM
DENVER —The Denver Outlaws (8-3) scored six straight goals to close out their 13-10 comeback victory over the Florida Launch (4-7) Sunday afternoon at Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium. The win ensures that the Outlaws will have their ninth winning season in as many years as a franchise. Denver’s 9-of-9 (1.000) winning seasons is tops in Major League Lacrosse for all franchises.
The Launch led 10-6 before the Outlaws scored seven unanswered points to secure a win in their last home game of the season. Backup goalie Charlie Cipriano relieved starter Jesse Schwartzman early in the second quarter and finished the night with 11 saves on 14 shots on goal, for a career-high .786 save percentage.
Four Outlaws dressed for the game straight off of competition in the 2014 FIL World Lacrosse Championships—gold medalists John Grant Jr. and Cam Holding from Team Canada, and Lee Zink and Jesse Schwartzman from Team USA.
The Launch scored three goals, all from Kieran McArdle, to start the game 3-0, before Chris Bocklet scored off a Jeremy Sieverts assist to get the Outlaws on the board.
Rookie faceoff specialist Brent Hiken won the following faceoff and took it straight to the goal, for his first Major League Lacrosse goal. Grant Jr. and Holding added goals in the first quarter to tie it up at 4-4 heading into the second.
Florida took an 8-5 lead into the half and extended that lead to 10-6 in the third quarter before Denver’s seven unanswered points behind three goals from Grant Jr., a goal apiece from Chris Bocklet and Drew Snider, and a two-pointer from Sieverts.
Sieverts now has seven two-pointers on the season, which leads the MLL. Sieverts’ seven two-pointers are more than any MLL team, except for the Chesapeake Bayhawks (7).
The Denver Outlaws return to action next Saturday, July 26 at 4:30 p.m. EDT on the road at the Ohio Machine.
· With the win, the Outlaws are guaranteed their ninth winning season in as many years as a team. Their 9-of-9 (1.00) winning seasons are a league best.
· Charlie Cipriano had a career-high .786 save percentage (11-14).
· Rookie faceoff specialist Brent Hiken scored his first career MLL goal.
· John Grant Jr. has scored a goal in all nine games he’s played this season. He finished the night with four goals and two assists.
· Sieverts scored his 20th career two-pointer as an Outlaw. Sieverts has more two-point goals this season (7) than every team except for the Chesapeake Bayhawks (7).
|07/21/2014||Charlie Cipriano Named Warrior Defensive Player of the Week|
|07/15/2014||Denver Outlaws Week 11 Game Notes|